A member of the succulent family, aloe vera is one of the most widely used plants for natural remedies. From promoting hair growth to improving wound healing, aloe vera has a wide range of uses.
If you are looking for products to remove acne scars and reduce breakouts, you will eventually come across aloe vera-based products. Thanks to its potent antibacterial and moisturizing qualities, it can help treat and manage acne inside out.
In this article, we’ll take a look at the reasons why you should consider aloe vera for acne. You’ll also get some tips on how to use it to get the best results. Read on!
Why Use Aloe Vera for Acne
As a succulent, aloe vera has thick, plump leaves that retain water to help it survive in the arid-climate areas where it originated from. The retained water turns into a mucilaginous gel. This gel is squeezed out of the leaves and used for a wide range of natural remedies, mostly for skin concerns such as acne. Here are the reasons why aloe vera is considered effective for acne treatment and control:
- It has anti-inflammatory agents. Aloe vera gel can help reduce swelling. When applied on pimples, it can reduce swelling, redness, tenderness, and pain. Because it has wound healing properties, it can also help acne breakouts heal faster.
- It has soothing effects. Aloe vera can soothe skin irritation, tenderness, and sensitivity caused by acne. Your skin will feel lighter and more comfortable. If you’re using other acne medications but dread applying them because they make your skin sting, aloe vera can help alleviate the discomfort.
- It helps increase elastin fiber and collagen production. Elastin fiber and collagen are responsible for scar repair. This is how aloe vera promotes acne scar reduction.
How to Use Aloe Vera for Acne
There are several ways to incorporate aloe vera into your skincare and acne treatment routine. Here are some:
1. Pure aloe vera extract can be used topically. You can extract the gel from an aloe vera leaf, then apply it to the affected area. You can leave it on overnight, then wash it off when you wake up in the morning.
2. Aloe vera extract can also be combined with pure lemon juice to create a face mask. You can try mixing an 8 to 1 ratio of aloe vera and lemon juice. Apply it evenly on the face, avoiding the eye area. Leave the mask on for at least 10 minutes before rinsing.
3. Aloe vera can also be mixed with tea tree oil, which is also known for its anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal, and antibacterial properties. When mixed with aloe vera, the effects of tea tree oil can be amplified. Furthermore, if you have sensitive skin and you find tea tree oil products to be irritating, aloe vera can soothe your skin. This allows you to take advantage of the benefits of tea tree oil without the stinging.
4. Over-the-counter or commercial products, such as oils and creams that contain aloe vera extract, are also worth trying. These products commonly combine aloe vera with other ingredients that are known to treat, soothe, and heal acne and acne scars. If you don’t have access to an aloe vera plant, these are the next best thing.
You Don’t Have to Live With Acne Scars Forever
With acne treatment remedies and products widely available today, you no longer have to live with acne scars all your life. By adding aloe vera products to your skincare routine, acne may well just become a memory!